Mineral County Yucca Mountain Oversight
In 1880, work began on the Carson and Colorado Railroad (C&C). The original alignment
Previous | Home | Next
connected to the Virginia & Truckee Railroad at Mound House (south of Silver City near US
Highway 50) and followed the Carson River to Fort Churchill. From Fort Churchill, the line left
the river and ran southward for 18 miles to the vicinity of the Mason Valley farming district.
Wabuska lies on the northern edge of this agricultural belt, on the big bend of the Walker River.
From here, the road worked its way down stream, twice crossing the river in the next 38 miles to
Schurz. Then it skirted the eastern shore of Walker Lake to Hawthorne, 35 additional miles.